Slideshow

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What To Share and Will They Care?

So I've been thinking about names - a better name for this blog and a blog nickname for the new baby.  No luck with the blog name so far.  Any suggestions?  As for baby number 2, let's go with Bug - as in Snugglebug.  He really is awfully snuggly :)

I guess the question might be, why not just use my sons' real first names?  It's a fair question as I use their names freely on Facebook and I post their pictures on there (and here), as well.  I guess I feel that I have more control over who accesses my Facebook information than I do over this blog.  I don't mind if strangers read my blog, especially since I share information about our food sensitivity journey which might be helpful for other parents.  However, I'm not 100% comfortable revealing too much identifying information about my kids to people I don't know.  Not that there are many people reading my blog - yet?  I'm not kidding myself, though, that this sense of security isn't false and I'm aware that it is kind of a double standard to use their pictures and not their names.  But it's the call I'm making, for now.

I know some parents who do not reveal any information about their children online and are uncomfortable with any pictures, names, etc. being posted.  I know others who share anything and everything, who have no concerns about privacy.  I make no judgments of how any parents choose to approach this issue.  It's a tough one, and very personal.

What are our responsibilities, if any, as parents in terms of protecting our kids from exposure on the internet?  This is an unprecedented issue for parents to tackle.  My parents never had the opportunity to share pictures of me, details of my personal life, or their thoughts on parenting me with, well, potentially people all across the planet.  And being that these things were an impossibility in my childhood, I am not sure that I can give a qualified assessment of how I would feel about them if they hadn't been (if that makes sense).  Would I be embarrassed?  Angry?  Or would it even matter to me, if so many of my peers were in the same boat?  Am I over-thinking it and the children of today really won't care that their lives were so much more publicly documented than those of any generations previously?  Before they become old enough to make the decision about sharing private information for themselves, that is (and we know how that can turn out).


Still, for me, how much information and which information is shared about them, and with whom, is always a consideration.  Hopefully it will be of some consolation to my children, should they ever feel slighted, that I at least tried to be ever mindful of the fact that what I am sharing belongs to them.  Sharing what isn't technically mine to share is a liberty and privilege that I am claiming as their mom.  After all, it is every parent's natural instinct to want everyone to know how wonderful their children are.  Now we just have the ultimate tools to make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment