Slideshow

Friday, January 23, 2009

More ED Ramblings

Well, to continue on the main theme of this blog so far (and of my life, currently) the elimination diet has been going ok. I'd say great, but the diapers aren't totally perfect. We've seen no blood since Christmas day, so that is definitely something to celebrate. We still see occasional mucous. So what does that mean? Probably that 1 (or more) of my 18 foods is still bothering him or has started to bother him. Less likely suspects are teething, oversupply/overactive let-down, or the nasty cold he's been battling this week. If it's a food, I don't know how to narrow it down without taking out a bunch of foods again, and I don't think I'm up for that. We saw the pediatrician today and she was supportive and felt that great progress had been made. I really like her. She revealed that she had, in a way, gone to bat for us by having a "heated conversation" with the allergist about breastfeeding v.s. formula.. Baby is thriving, bottom line. He's up to 18 pounds and is meeting all milestones, most of them early. He's happy and bright and doing well (which makes it so hard for people to understand what we are going through, but we're grateful).

The results of my blood tests from last week showed that I have lower iron (18) and that I am dehydrated. I saw a dietician today who was sweet and concerned, and I'll give her credit for pointing me towards a very cool iron supplement called Spatone - 100% natural iron in water, so there is no chance of trace allergens. I have a new plan. I'm going to continue to introduce foods fairly quickly (every 4 days or so, 2 at a time) until I have enough to develop a decent rotation diet. I have run the risk of overexposing him to certain foods (namely chicken, rice, pear) that I have eaten ad nauseum for the past month and perhaps creating new sensitivities. Plus, I am so sick of chicken, rice and pear!

And that's where things stand right now. I promise that my next post won't have anything to do with the ED or any of our food issues. There are lots of other things to write about!

No comments:

Post a Comment