Slideshow

Friday, January 16, 2009

2 Steps Forward, 1 Step Back

And so we continue along with the elimination diet ... it's all about the diapers - good diapers and bad diapers. The good diapers are celebrated and allow me to add new foods. The bad diapers are disappointing and maddening. And now that they don't come every day, they are greatly anticipated and encouraged ("Poop! Poop! Poop! Are you gonna poop today?!") We've had a few bad ones and I'm trying so hard not to let it get me down, but it's tough.

Avocado was a no go - total bummer since I needed the nutrients and the fat. I added 2 foods at a time next - carrots and almonds (high allergen, need the fat and nutrients though) - big mistake because a bad diaper after those ones left us unsure which was the culprit. Also gave him some homeopathic teething tablets which contained lactose - stupid, stupid, stupid! He isn't supposed to necessarily react to lactose as it is the milk protein that he is intolerant to, but further research revealed that some dairy-intolerant babies can't manage this specific tablet. So, after taking out the tablets and the carrot, and adding in Swiss chard, we're waiting for the next diaper to find out where we stand. And I'm feeling all of this pressure from certain people to feed him solids, and I know he wants them, but then to me it's a tradeoff between new foods for me and tastes of solids for him. That being said, we threw into the mix some tastes of some of our presumed "safe" foods - pear and of chicken and bone broth (supposed to be great for gut healing) for him, just to make things more hard to figure out should his diapers continue to be bad.

I'm getting more desperate and wanting to add more foods faster, selfishly, because, 1. well, I'm hungry and I miss lots of foods, 2. I'm concerned about my nutrition and health, and 3. we're going to Cuba in a month and I don't want to be miserable there. I had a bunch of blood taken yesterday when I went for my check-up so I will be interested to find out if they found any significant deficiencies (iron, B12, etc.). We are going back to the naturopath at the end of the month, and contemplating throwing down a few hundred bucks that we can't really spare on some testing for either the little guy or myself to identify our food sensitivities. Apparently he may be reacting to sensitivities that I have and am not aware of, or perhaps developed in pregnancy. I have ideas of why all of this could be happening to us, and I won't write that novel at this time, but still it's hard to understand - we're both so healthy otherwise and we don't have history of food allergies on either side of the family.

Well, it's Friday night and the boys are in bed. I am pretty wiped out, so I'm going to join them. By the way, no one is actually reading this blog yet since I haven't really told anyone I am writing. Might as well have a stash of entries already posted for people to read when/if they arrive! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment